You often see people doing new year resolution for things or goals they want to achieve every new year. But, I believe you also see most of them stopped doing what they planned to do after few weeks or few months, including myself. I’ve always constantly searched for the reason why some people can stick on with their resolutions and make them happen. These are my findings including how you can continue with what you plan every new year: –
- Know your strong why: most people give up half-way because they are lack of internal motivation. If we want to slim down, what is the reason? The external why does not work as well as internal why. If the reason is: I want people to admire me, I want other people to like me, these are external why. If the reason is: I want to be healthy so that I can see my kids growing. This is an internal why. Identify your internal why.
- Commitment: Tie the resolution with time and money commitment. If you do not commit, it is probably not important to you. You must be able to put in your time and money (or other resources) to do what you want to do for the new year. The more time and money you put in, the probability of sticking with your plan is higher.
- Planning: A goal without a plan is pure imagination. “I want to be rich.” There is no plan on how to get rich, there is no way you can get to it.
- Daily habit: Big plan without action, there is no use. People who start with big action will most likely give up. It is better to break the plan down to small daily actions which you can execute daily. For example, “I want to earn RM 240,000 a year.” Break it down into monthly goal of RM 20,000 a month. What type of activities you need to do daily to earn that money? If you are having a fixed salary of RM 10,000 a month, you know you have a shortfall of RM 10,000 a month, how are you going to catch up with this gap? Selling things online? Short term trading? How much time you are devoting for setting up your store online? How much time you are spending on trading? These are daily habits to be considered. Not just big plan like “I’m going to trade like the professional within a year”.
- Accountability: Internal motivation will not be enough, there should be also an external force to encourage you to move ahead with what you plan. Have a group of positive people who can guide you, check on your progress to ensure things are moving ahead.
- Environment: If you are surrounded with the right people wanting what you want to achieve, things are easy. They can share with you their lessons learnt, your learning curve is shorter. If you are surrounded with people who are against your resolution, you need strong internal motivation which you need to spend huge amount of time convincing people who don’t trust your planning, discouraging you from your goals. Most of the time, this is what happens. Change your environment, change your friends who you hang out with the most. You will see your life changes as well.
You can receive constant broadcast message relating to wealth creation to financial freedom through Telegram. Click here to subscribe to the telegram for the weekly newsletter.